Black Friday is almost synonymous with TV offers, but in reality, most of the offers announced during the shopping holiday are not worth their time. While many retailers are happy to shovel large screens cheaply, cheaply, the actual image quality of cheaper displays is usually mediocre. In other words, you usually get what you pay for.
That said, for a handful of TVs are good value for money, Black Friday is usually the best time to pick up a new set. You can view a list of the best Black Friday deals for a more general summary, but to make things easier for those who specifically want to grab a new central element to their living room, we’ve listed the best Black Friday TV deals we can find separately.
While we don’t regularly review TVs here at Ars, we have reviewed forums and sites we trust to supplement our own impressions. We also thought about checking the price history charts to make sure the offers below result in real savings over the amount paid for the rest of the year. We’ll be sure to update this post if additional good discounts are available, but just be warned that some deals may sell out before the end of the day as Black Friday sales started earlier than usual this year.
Note: Ars Technica may obtain compensation through affiliate programs through the links in the post.
The best TV deals from Black Friday 2020
The highest bid here is probably the LG 55-inch BX OLED TV for $ 1,200, which is the lowest price we’ve tracked. LG OLED TVs have been appreciated for years, and the BX is the entry-level model on the company’s current list. It lacks a brighter panel and a more advanced image processor from LG’s enhanced CX kit – which was available for $ 1,400 earlier this week but seems now out of stock now – so it works best in darker rooms. Nevertheless, those who have never had an OLED TV should report a major upgrade, with excellent contrast, a wide color gamut, and a 120 Hz refresh rate with VRR support.
If LG models run out, Sony’s A8H OLED TVs are similarly clear, but slightly more expensive. The Sony X950H and Samsung Q80T, meanwhile, are a strong choice for those who prefer a premium kit with a more traditional LCD / LED and a slightly more affordable price-performance ratio.
As for the more affordable options, you get what you pay for again, but the Vizio M7 Series Quantum seems to be good value for money among mid-range models, while the TCL 4 Series and Toshiba Fire TV Edition should provide a fair value for the budget is over, depending on what size you want. Each is at the lowest price we have tracked. Unfortunately, we don’t see an offer on TCL’s popular 5- or 6-series Roku TVs.
- 55-inch LG BX (2020 model) 4K HDR OLED TV $ 1196.99 at Amazon, B&H, and Best Buy (usually $ 1,450).
- 65-inch LG BX (2020 model) 4K HDR OLED TV $ 1796.99 at Amazon, B&H, and Best Buy (usually $ 2,100).
- 43-inch Toshiba Fire TV Edition 43LF621U21 (2020 model) 4K LED Fire TV $ 209.99 on Amazon (usually $ 265).
- 55-inch Sony A8H (2020 model) 4K HDR OLED TV $ 1,498 at Amazon, B&H, and Best Buy (usually $ 1,750).
- 65-inch Sony A8H (2020 model) 4K HDR OLED TV $ 1,798 at Amazon and Best Buy (usually $ 2,300).
- 65-inch Sony X950H (2020 model) 4K HDR LED TV $ 1,398 at Amazon, B&H, and Best Buy (usually $ 1,600).
- 55-inch Sony X900H (2020 model) 4K HDR LED TV $ 919.99 on Amazon (clip $ 28.01 coupon– usually $ 1,000).
- 75-inch Sony X900H (2020 model) 4K HDR LED TV $ 1.569.99 on Amazon (clip $ 30 coupon– usually $ 1,950).
- 55-inch Sony X750H (2020 model) 4K LED TV 518 USD at Amazon and Walmart (usually $ 580).
- 75-inch Sony X750H (2020 model) 4K LED TV 898 USD at B&H and Best Buy (usually $ 1,100).
- 55-inch Samsung Q80T (2020 model) 4K HDR QLED TV $ 1,047.99 at Amazon, Samsung, and B&H (usually $ 1,160).
- 65-inch Samsung Q80T (2020 model) 4K HDR QLED TV $ 1,497.99 at Amazon, Samsung and B&H (usually $ 1,700).
- 55-inch Samsung Q90T (2020 model) 4K HDR QLED TV $ 1,297.99 at Amazon, Samsung and B&H (usually $ 1,450).
- 65-inch Samsung Q90T (2020 model) 4K HDR QLED TV $ 1,897.99 at Amazon, Samsung, and B&H (usually $ 2,050).
- 55-inch Samsung Q70T (2020 model) 4K QLED TV $ 797.99 at Amazon, Samsung, and B&H (usually $ 900).
- 50-inch TCL S434 (2020 model) 4K LED Android TV $ 229.99 at Best Buy (usually $ 350).
- 55-inch TCL S434 (2020 model) 4K LED Android TV $ 279.99 at Best Buy (usually $ 400).
- 65-inch Vizio M-Series Quantum M65Q7-H1 (2020 model) 4K HDR LED TV $ 599.99 at the best buy (usually $ 700).
- 65-inch Vizio P-Series Quantum P65Q9-H1 (2020 model) 4K HDR LED TV 979 USD At Sam’s club ($ 1,000 at Walmart and Best Buy – usually $ 1,200).
- 65-inch Vizio OLED-H1 (2020 model) 4K HDR OLED TV $ 1,499.99 at Best Buy (usually $ 1,999.99).
Best home theater promotions for Black Friday 2020
In addition to the actual TVs, Black Friday also brought some great deals on home theater devices we like, including the compact Sonos Beam soundtrack at a new low price of $ 299, several offers on Roku and Fire TV media streamers, and the best price tracked by high-end Nvidia Shield on TV.