A woman found dead in the Louisiana sugarcane field was found after a missing teenager

A Louisiana woman was charged on Tuesday Quawan “Bobby” Charles’ death, a black teenager whose body was found in a sugar cane field in November. According to the office of the Iberian parish sheriff, 37-year-old Janet Irvin is charged with consenting to consent to the crime of a minor and failing to report a missing child.

The 15-year-old boy was reportedly picked up on October 30 at the home of his father, Baldwin, Louisiana, by two people who, according to Charles ’family, were Irvin and his 17-year-old son. Charles’s parents said they didn’t know the woman or son at the time and never agreed to leave with them.

It was to the police previously posted a video showing the moment when they said Charles had voluntarily left his home with the two men. The video seems to show someone sitting in front of a road in front of a road when a silver car passes by. Then he started running after the car and the car returned home soon after. Police said three people, including Charles, got out of the car and went into the garden before returning to the car and driving away.

The family claimed police had allayed their concerns when they first reported Charles’s disappearance and were assumed he was at a football game. Police said Tuesday only after they were notified of Charles’ disappearance on the afternoon of November 3rd. Charles was found dead that night in a drainage ditch at a sugar cane field in Loreauville, 30 minutes from his home.

Janet Irvin can be seen in a booking photo published on Tuesday, February 9, 2021, by the Iberia Parish Sheriff’s Office in Louisiana.

Lawyers for Charles ’family told CBS News in December they did acquired a sound recording in which, according to Irvin, a woman admitted that she did not call the police immediately after she fled her home.

“Yes, I should have called the cops. I should have gone on,” a woman on the recording heard.

The family also claimed that Irvin’s son told a private investigator that he and Charles had been drugged at Irvin’s home.

– Did you smoke something, or did I mean …? the detective can be heard.

– Yes, he smoked some grass. That was it, ”a man replied.

Ronald Haley and Chase Trichell, lawyers for the Charles family at the time, believed there was enough evidence to arrest Irvin “on plenty of charges.” Their private investigator recorded the conversation.

“He knew something was wrong and he didn’t do anything,” Haley told CBS News in December. “He talks a lot about what his involvement was in this case.”

The sheriff’s office then said it was unaware of the recording and the information was not shared.

New voice in the Quawan Charles case


The local Stand Black organization called Irvin’s arrest a move to justice, says Louisiana CBS Lafayette, a subsidiary of KLFY-TV.

“Today is a starting point, but it’s a marathon and not a sprint,” said Stand Black co-founder Jamal Taylor. “We now need to mobilize laws that protect against these kinds of atrocities. We need to pass laws to protect children, as well as laws reforming police accountability.”

Lawyers for the Charles family issued a statement on Tuesday, saying: “We will continue to fight, we will continue to advocate for Quawan’s family, and we will work tirelessly for justice, transparency and accountability.”

In October, Charles ’family said they thought police didn’t take his disappearance seriously because he was black. Amber Alert, who reported his disappearance, was not, but police said “all procedures were followed.”

“People are angry. People are nervous,” then said Celina Charles, Charles’ cousin, Jeroszka Duncan’s national correspondent for “CBS This Morning.”

In an earlier interview with KLFY, Baldwin Assistant Chief of Police Balduel said there was no evidence that Charles had been abducted or that Amber Alert was needed.

Questions in the absence of the death of a Louisiana teenager


The coroner’s office at the time said the teenager was probably drowned and not injured before his death. It was also found that the wounds on his face occurred after death and were probably caused by aquatic animals.

On February 5, the forensic autopsy report showed that there was no sign of struggle before Charles drowned, but he stopped reporting that he had drowned. “It is possible that the deceased hallucinated due to psychosis, which led to disorientation, which led to accidental suffocation,” the autopsy report states. “The alleged circumstance that he is said to kill himself and the lack of injuries suggest that suicide may be a way to die.”

But in a statement responding to the report, lawyers for Charles ‘family said the only “reasonable conclusion” was that Charles’ death was a homicide. “The only rational, blatantly obvious conclusion here is that work was a bad game here,” the statement reads.

Irvin remains in the Iberian parish prison and no bond is formed. Police said the investigation into Charles’ death was continuing and further arrests could come.

Jericka Duncan contributed to the report.