The Chicago City Attorney’s Office this week tried to prevent a local TV station from broadcasting videos of a spoiled police raid in February 2019 in which city officials allegedly raided a bad house and handcuffed an innocent woman while she was naked – and while the man reported group examined.
Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot said at a news conference Wednesday that he had learned of the scandalous raid on Tuesday, nearly two years after it occurred, and apologized to the woman, calling the case “horrible.”
“I watched that video with absolute horror,” the mayor told reporters according to the Chicago Sun Times.
Lightfoot also added firm words to his own legal team and reported them for keeping the case in the dark.
CHICAGO MURDERS CONTINUES SKYROCKET AS POLICE RECORDER INTRODUCES “A REALLY CHALLENGING YEAR”
“I have made it very clear to the corporate consultant that such issues are not blinded,” Lightfoot told a news conference.
The woman whose home was raided, Anjanette Young, obtained the police video as part of a lawsuit against police, WBBM-TV in Chicago reported. Earlier, both Young and the station requested access to the video through the Freedom of Information Act, but police denied their requests, the station reported.
After obtaining the video, Young appeared on WBBM and talked about his ordeal when the station broadcast some of the footage.
“I feel like they didn’t want this video to be because they knew how bad it was,” Young said. “They knew they had done something wrong. They knew it wasn’t right the way they treated me.”
THE MAYOR OF CHICAGO ON THE DAY OF HOLIDAYS WITHOUT PROTECTION BEFORE THE ANNOUNCEMENT IS ISSUED
The city’s Legal Department tried to prevent the WBBM from broadcasting the video a few hours before the broadcast by filing an emergency motion in federal court, the station reported.
According to the Sun Times, Lightfoot was not happy with the Department of Justice’s action.
“Filing a motion against the media to prevent something from being published is something that rarely, if ever, would happen,” the mayor said. “And if I had been advised that this was being done, I would have stopped in his wake. That’s not how we work. Period.”
Nine police cameras were in operation when police entered Young’s home on February 21, 2019, writes the WBBM. A young man changed clothes in his bedroom after returning home from work as a social worker, the station reported.
Police broke down the door with a racket ram and entered with guns drawn according to the station.
“You have a bad house! You have a bad house!” In the video, they tell young police to hear Young.
CLICK HERE TO THE FOX NEWS APP
The WBBM reported that police and court records suggest that an informant gave the wrong address to police for a 23-year-old criminal who was under investigation. The suspect lived next door and would have been easy to find because, according to the station, he was wearing an electronic surveillance device used in his previous arrest.
The scandalous raid was just the latest in the long black eyes of the Chicago Police Department, which included the departure of former Superintendent Eddie Johnson, who was asleep in his car in October 2019 “after a few dinners.” and who faced sexual abuse two months ago. Johnson retired in December 2019.