NEW YORK (AP) – Fox News has reached an agreement with the parents of Seth Rich, an employee of the murdered National Democratic Commission, who claimed in a lawsuit that the cable company exploited the deaths of their boys in their stories and commentaries.
Both sides confirmed the agreement on Tuesday.
Richt was shot and killed in 2016 in Washington as an attempted robbery by authorities. His parents, Joel and Mary Rich, objected to the Fox article and comments, which falsely suggest that their son sent DNC-blocked emails to WikiLeaks during the presidential campaign.
Internet theories that Rich had been killed for email leaks have been contradicted by U.S. intelligence reports.
The lower-level court dismissed the lawsuit, but the 2nd U.S. District Court of Appeals in Manhattan reinstated it last year. The court said the family had made a valid claim that this involved emotional torture.
Rich’s parents said in a statement that the township had closed another chapter in their efforts to mourn the boy, who was 27 when he was killed.
“We are pleased with the resolution of this matter and sincerely hope that the media will indeed strive for caution in the future,” the rich in Nebraska, Omaha, said.
Neither party disclosed the financial terms of the transaction.
“We are pleased with the resolution of the demands and hope that this will allow Mr. Rich and Ms. Rich to find a small degree of peace and comfort in advance,” Fox said in a statement.