Police change restaurant door locks to prevent indoor dining after owner violates lock rules


After a restaurant owner complied with Toronto lockout rules for the third time in a row, police at the Adamson Barbecue exchanged locks to prevent indoor dining.

Before 6 a.m. Thursday morning, police arrived with locksmiths in anticipation of the restaurant’s opening hours. Toronto City spokesman Brad Ross confirmed to the CBC that the locks had been changed overnight.

Adamson Barbecue, a restaurant in the city’s Etobicoke region, remained open despite the management of its owner, Adam Skelly, despite Toronto taking effect on Monday.

This week, Toronto entered a 28-day closure after a surge in coronavirus cases swept the city.

On November 26, Toronto reported 39,094 confirmed COVID-19s and 1,555 deaths. On Wednesday, the province of Ontario, home to Toronto, recorded the highest daily death since the second wave of the pandemic.

While schools and basic services remain open, the city has closed personal retail and restaurants and only allowed handovers or handovers along the way. Violations may result in a fine of $ 750 ($ 576).


Police will gather on November 25 in Toronto, Canada, at Adamson Barbecue, which has thwarted provincial shutdown orders. Overnight, the restaurant’s locks were changed to prevent indoor dining.
Cole Burston / AFP

Skelly has loudly criticized COVID-19’s blocking measures and has kept the restaurant open for the past three days despite public health orders for indoor meals.

In a Instagram post shared on Monday, Skelly said the restaurant “opens up to dine at the restaurant against provincial orders.”

He claimed that COVID-19 tests pick up other bacteria that result in false positive results.

“Enough. I did two weeks of flattening the curve. I did enough again during the ‘second wave’ when we closed in,” he told the camera. “For anyone who is passionate about freedom and sovereignty, the right to choose what to wear, where to go, who should have a home, which businesses to go to, we look forward to seeing you tomorrow.”

On Tuesday, many undisguised patrons packed into the dining room on Queen Elizabeth Boulevard.

Toronto police arrived at the Adamson Barbecue Monday through Wednesday, and the restaurant remained open on the second and third days.

Toronto Police Superintendent Dom Sinopoli said at a news conference Wednesday that Skelly and the restaurant have been charged with a total of nine charges, including violating indoor eating rules, holding an illegal gathering and running a business without permission.

Councilor Mark Grimes told local reporters he was asking for a maximum fine of $ 100,000 C ($ 76,835).

Not only the police have been on the scene for the past three days. At least 100 anti-blocking protesters appeared on the lawn of the restaurant near Skelly. Sinpoli said none of the protesters were accused or fined.

Sinpoli indicated that police are ready to take further action against Skelly if he continues to disregard the city’s closure order.

“We are in a position to stop it from opening tomorrow or the next day. The strategy changes from day to day, depending on what we are facing,” the supervisor said on Wednesday.

Newsweek he sought further comments from Toronto police, but had not heard of it before publication.