Stone Water: Former Michigan Governor to Prosecute 12 People Killing Crisis


The Flint Water Prosecution team is scheduled to announce its results at a press conference Thursday morning after indictment against former Michigan Governor Rick Snyder and former Flint Director of Public Works, Howard Croft.

According to court documents, they have to deal with deliberate disregard for duty as part of a crisis investigation in two ways. The charges are offenses punishable by up to a year in prison or a fine of up to $ 1,000, according to the state’s criminal code.

CNN contacted Snyder’s attorney and Croft’s attorney to comment on the allegations.

The flint has been exposed to extremely high levels of lead since 2014, when city and state officials switched the city’s water supply from the Detroit water system to the polluted Flint River to reduce costs.

The switch had to be temporary while a new supply line to Lake Huron was completed. When the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality could not handle the corrosive water, he ate into the city’s iron and lead pipes and washed out into the drinking water.

The contaminated water led to two outbreaks of Legionnaires ’disease, which is a severe pneumonia caused by bacteria.

More than a dozen lawsuits and a $ 600 million settlement

In 2016, Snyder, who served between 2010 and 2018, apologized for the state’s role in the crisis.
Republican Snyder’s court documents show the date of the crime on April 25, 2014, the same day Flint switched its water source.

Snyder’s lawyer Brian Lennon said earlier on Wednesday that his client would be made a scapegoat by a politically driven special adviser. Lennon called the reports accusing his client of “disinterest” and will be part of a “political escape.”

Flint water crisis quick facts

Croft’s lawyer told The Detroit News that his client had been informed on Monday that he would be charged.

The Michigan Attorney General’s Office had no comment on Wednesday night’s allegations.

Residents of flint complained about the poor quality of their water when the Environmental Protection Agency tested the water entering their homes in 2015 and found dangerous levels of lead that could cause serious health problems.

More than a dozen lawsuits, including several class actions, have been filed against the state, the city of Flint, and state and city employees and those responsible for water quality control in the decision to change the source of drinking water.

Last year, the state made a $ 600 million deal with the victims and a court-controlled compensation fund was created.

The outbreak of the Legionnaires launched criminal proceedings in 2017 against government officials, including Nick Lyon, then director of the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

Prosecutors dropped all criminal charges in 2019 and said the investigation would start all over again, citing concerns about the Special Adviser’s case.

CNN Taylor Romine and Joe Sutton contributed to the report.