Trump administration fired defense consultants after the Pentagon was cleared


  • The Trump administration has shaken the Pentagon’s Defense Policy Board, removing most of its 13 members, Foreign Policy writes.
  • A U.S. defense official has confirmed to Insider that some members have been removed, and Acting Secretary of Defense Chris Miller said in a statement that he hopes to “appoint new board members in the coming days.”
  • Changes in the Defense Policy Board, in which advisers such as former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger have left, mean a major shock to the Pentagon’s civilian leadership earlier this month.
  • Visit the Business Insider website for more news.

In recent months, the Trump administration has reportedly expelled senior advisers to the Pentagon’s Defense Policy Council.

“We can confirm that several members of the ministry’s Defense Policy Board have been removed,” a U.S. defense official told Investor on Friday after a previous Foreign Policy report revealed that at least 11 of the board’s 13 members had been removed in a directive on Wednesday. Joshua Whitehouse, liaison to the White House of the Pentagon.

The official said he was part of a “long-thought-out change” in a panel of external experts tasked with providing independent, informed advice to senior Pentagon officials.

Among the board members who were removed were allegedly former Foreign Secretary Madeleine Albright and Henry Kissinger, former Commander of Naval Operations (ret.) Gary Roughead, and former Pentagon Chief of Operations Rudy De Leon.

Foreign policy reported that former Bush Deputy National Security Adviser JD Crouch II, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, former House Intelligence Committee member Jane Harman, Bush Under Secretary of State for the Treasury, David, was ousted from the board. McCormick, former Clinton deputy attorney general Jamie Gorelick, Robert Joseph was a nuclear negotiator and former chief defense officer, Franklin Miller.

It is not clear what the status of the remaining two members is.

In a CNN report, Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller said he was “grateful to the outgoing board members, many of whom have been serving for decades,” adding that “as we adapt the ministry to great power competition, I look forward to nominating new presidency members in the coming days.”

Miller was only at the Pentagon for about two weeks since he arrived earlier this month as a major shock to the Department of Defense’s civilian leadership.

From November 9, President Donald Trump abruptly fired Mark Esper as Secretary of Defense, replacing Miller, who had previously been director of the National Counterterrorism Center.

The next day, several senior Pentagon officials resigned: Chief Secretary of Defense Jen Stewart; James Anderson Political Defense Secretariat; and Joseph Kernan, Secretary of Defense for Intelligence and Security.

Retired General Anthony Tata, a former Fox News commentator who abstained from the Trump administration to hold a seat in the Pentagon, replaced Anderson, and Kash Patel and Ezra Cohen-Watnick, both former members of the National Security Council, also held the president loyal. , Replaced Stewart and Kernan.

The administration’s move to place Trump loyalists – some considered unqualified – in the Pentagon’s senior position has raised some concerns, mainly because the goal was unclear, given that Trump lost the election to the elected president, who took office in January. To Joe Biden.

Officials told Foreign Policy that the changes to the Defense Policy Board, which received feedback from people like Esper and Anderson, were aimed at clearing the way for people independent of the Washington facility and loyal to the president.