Here is an update to the Nintendo Switch 11.0.0, and the latest numbered update includes some great additions. The key is to add a Nintendo Switch Online hub to the main page, but there are plenty of other things to dig into.
The new “Nintendo Switch Online” hub button appears on the home screen next to News, bringing all of Online’s features and services to one place. These include smartphone apps, online games, a list of current tournaments, the annual layout of NES and SNES titles, data stored in the cloud, and member offers.
Cloud data is now automatically downloaded by multiple systems linked to the same account. This can be a blessing for anyone who uses a standard Switch and Switch Lite together, as once activated, the backup data will automatically jump between the two systems.
A new “Picked up with Friends” option is now available on the user page under “Friends List”. It shows you what your friends have been playing recently, telling you exactly how many of the people on your friends list still play Animal Crossing: New Horizons and other titles on a regular basis. It tracks who has played in the last ten days and tells you the total playing time of the friends listed.
12 new user icons will also be added. They focus on Mario’s 35th anniversary, with icons based on Mario’s classic look all the way to Odyssey. You can even use Mario as an icon with FLUDD if you’re a big fan of Super Mario Sunshine.
Perhaps most useful for those who like to share screenshots, it’s now much easier to transfer screens and videos from the Switch to other devices. You can copy to a computer via USB or to a smart device using a QR code.
There are some additional changes, including download priority, naming the button redesign, and Brazilian Portuguese support. You can read the full update notes below.
Nintendo Switch Ver. 11.0.0
Nintendo Switch Online has been added to the HOME menu.
- You can access all Nintendo Switch Online services, from getting the latest information to checking your membership status.
* This service is not available in some countries / regions.
Save Data Cloud has been enhanced with a new feature that is automatically downloaded by saving saved data.
- If you use software with the same Nintendo account that connects to multiple systems, data saved from one console will be automatically downloaded to the other system.
* To use this feature, you must enable it in System Settings> Data Management> Data Cloud Backup.
* Data backup will only be downloaded automatically if there is backup data for that software on the console. Only users need to download the backup data first.
* Save Data Cloud requires Nintendo Switch Online membership.
A new Featured service has been added to the user page.
- Users can check what software their friends are playing or have recently started playing.
Information will not be shown to friends whose online status is set to not be visible to anyone.
Users can now transfer screenshots and videos from Album to their smart devices.
- Users can wirelessly connect their smart devices to the Nintendo Switch to transfer screenshots and videos saved in their albums.
- For screenshots, users can submit up to 10 screenshots and 1 video at a time.
* To connect, users must scan the QR code displayed on the Nintendo Switch screen with their smart device.
Under System Preferences> Data Management> Screenshots and Videos Management, a new Copy to PC via USB feature has been added.
- Users can connect to the Nintendo Switch computers with a USB cable to copy screenshots and videos saved under the Album.
* USB charging cable [model HAC-010] or a USB-IF certified USB cable that supports data transfer is required to connect to a computer.
Users can now choose which download to prioritize when multiple downloads are in progress.
- If multiple software, data updates, or downloadable content downloads are in progress, users can now select which one to download first.
- You can set this under Download Options by selecting the software icon you want to download for the first time in the HOME menu.
User icons have been added.
- 12 user icons have been added to commemorate the 35th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros. series.
Users can now enter preset button assignments using the Change Button Assignment feature.
Brazilian Portuguese was added as a supported language.
- When users set their language to America and Português, the language used in the HOME menu and some software will be Brazilian Portuguese.