What we know about the fire that caused the death of Tapp Hsieh, the former CEO of Zappos


  • Tony Hsieh, a retired CEO of online shoe retailer Zappos, passed away at the age of 46 on Friday after more than a week of injuries from the fire.
  • Hsieh was wounded in a fire on Nov. 18 in New London, Connecticut, a company spokesman confirmed to Insider.
  • The fire is still under investigation on Saturday, the new London fire chief, Thomas Curcio, told Insider.
  • Visit the Insider website for more news.

Tony Hsieh, a visionary entrepreneur and retired CEO of Zappos online shoe retailer, died Friday at the age of 46 after suffering injuries in a fire more than a week earlier.

Hsieh died on Nov. 18 in New London, Connecticut, from injuries sustained during a home fire, Insider Megan Fazio, a spokeswoman for Hsieh DTP companies, confirmed in a statement.

New London Fire Chief Thomas Curcio told Insiders on Saturday that he could not confirm the victim’s identity in a November 18 fire out of respect for the family. He said there was no new information they could share about the cause of the flame, but he pointed to insider statements previously made to the local media during the fire.

The case is still under investigation on Saturday, Curcio said.

The Day, a local newspaper reported that firefighters were called to Pequot Ave 500 after half past three on Nov. 18. One man, believed to be Hsieh, was taken from home and taken to a local hospital. according to the report, serious injuries should be treated due to “possible burns and inhalation of smoke”.

He was later taken by helicopter to the Connecticut Burn Center at Bridgeport Hospital, Bridgeport, approx. 60 miles east. A WFSB local news station reported on Nov. 18 that the fire victim was trapped in the basement of the home before firefighters rescued him.

Curcio told The Day that firefighters were forced to enter the home, the victim was removed, and CPR was performed on him before he was taken to hospital.

According to The New York Times, Hsieh was with the family at the time of the fire, but details were not available from Saturday. According to publicly available property records, the home where the fire occurred was purchased in August by a woman named Rachael Brown. The woman of the same name has long been an employee of Zappos.

Brown did not immediately return Insider’s request for comment.

This is an evolving story. Check for updates.